Monday, October 26, 2020

Working with others

 Working with others would seem like a self explanatory task, or even a simple task. In reality, it can be very difficult when working in a professional environment. I learned as a leader of my peers that leadership has a lot to do with understanding one's views and managing personalities. Every person you interact with will have different personalities, political views, cultural views, and work ethics. Trying to force someone to be a certain way will never work; the only way to manage this is through patience and perseverance. As a great leader or supervisor, you have to find effective ways to inspire your team and subordinates. This could be as simple as leadership through action; which means conduct yourself the way you wish your team to act. 

The most difficult task is managing personalities and keeping the peace. Humans all have unique personalities that require a specific skillset to keep them focused on the task at hand. It can be very difficult to lead a personality that you categorically disagree with, but as a leader you must put your feelings aside and focus on the task at hand. Managing people takes lots of patience and you must learn new ways to approach different people so that your message gets through to them. I understand now why leaders take such a long time to develop and the importance of leadership. The phrase " Heavy lies the head that wears the crown" has never been more relevant to me now. As you all grow in your professional careers, learn to be patient with your leaders and understand their perspective. Even if it may not be want you want to do, don't overstress your leader and finish the task. In the end, you'll learn more from that situation and gain more character from that moment of struggle.

8 comments:

  1. Sage advice :-) Lead by example and try see or appreciate others' perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right about us being more patient with our leaders. My supervisor at my new job was recently promoted to her position and I often have to remind myself that this role is new for her too and she is learning just as I'm learning my new role. Sometimes we all just need to have a little patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have a hard time reaching out to my supervisors because I know they have a lot on their plate, and I feel like a nuisance adding more to it. It definitely is a position that I don't think I could be in. I think I could manage just fine, but I don't think I have the qualities to inspire a team which is an important leadership role.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur with everything you state about being open to other perspectives. Learning about others' journeys, experiences, and frames of references, allows for the listener's intrapersonal growth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a firm believer in leading by example, most leaders will gain the respect of their team when they lead by example. You sound to have the leadership role under control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog post reminds me of one of the chapters from my communication classes' book. It mentioned that there are 5 stages to any group, forming, storming, norming, performing, and adjourning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a leader I think you should have a relaxed attitude, treat everyone as an equal part of the team and don't forget to point out there strengths and contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leadership skill are often the hardest skills to develop. To some it comes naturally, and to others it takes lifelong dedication.

    ReplyDelete