Thursday, September 3, 2020

Why don't diets or gym memberships seem to never work?

 I've noticed that there are too many shortcuts and different programs that promote fitness and well being. What seems to irritate me on this subject is that majority of these programs are not sustainable and forgo the hard work aspect. Too many diets are not sustainable and many people quit the diet once they reach their goal, resulting in a loss of progress. The same can be applied to physical fitness. Multiple programs preach that this is the easiest and fastest way to achieve your physical fitness goal. In reality, you can lose all of your strength and conditioning in just three weeks if you stop training entirely. How do I know this information?

Well I kept a log of my training and eating habits pre-COVID. I noticed that within three weeks of not working out (intense physical training) and being trapped in the house, I lost a significant amount of strength and conditioning. I still did my best to train with body weight workouts but my strength had decreased by a large factor. Once I had access to equipment again, I began to show signs of improvement. I know I wasn't the only person in the world who lost physical fitness progress due to COVID, but I was determined to find a solution.

People focus on the wow factor of fitness and not the overall health of that person. This creates an image to focus on rather than a lifestyle. One thing I learned is that changing your lifestyle rather than dieting, has a major impact on your mental health and physical fitness. You won't need to diet, if you change what you eat, how much you eat, and how often. Too many people don't enjoy life's simple pleasure's because they're too worried about breaking their diet. In moderation, one can enjoy all of the same things without having to sacrifice their physical fitness. Same goes with working out; too many people (like myself) rely on the gym to provide all our equipment. Through research and trial and error, I have incorporated multiple exercises that I can conduct virtually anywhere while keeping up my strength. We need to change our lifestyles and habits to live a long a healthy life.

10 comments:

  1. Focus on lifestyle changes instead of diet!

    Sage advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said. Our lifestyle is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your piece and you make several valid points, Matt. I find the biggest struggle with individuals and these diet/fitness plans is that it leads to apathy. The one comparison that comes to my mind are the notorious "New Years Resolutioners" who start a new diet and bid on going to the gym, just for them to stop their so-called diet or workout plans a month in. Living a healthy lifestyle is 1000% consistent of hard-work; I believe that pertains to every facet of life. Ultimately, life is short, do what makes you happy in the end- this includes making the proper and necessary lifestyle changes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good insight on diet and health. It really does take a lot of hard work and determination to maintain your health. Especially in this day and age of convenience. It's great you were able to find ways to keep up your strength training during the lock down :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been a fan of fad diets. I agree with you that once the person stops dieting they fall right back to where they were. Being surrounded by acrobats and dancers daily you become familiar with people's eating habits and let me tell you some of those gymnasts love their fast food but they eat it in moderation because they know they have to maintain peak level performance while doing 2 shows a night 5 days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree Covid had a serious impact on physical health, I can see it every time I turn my head. I like this, "changing your lifestyle rather than dieting, has a major impact on your mental health and physical fitness". Thanks for the great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have a great understanding of health and physical fitness, that's really admirable because its so hard weed through all the misinformation and manipulative media that exists today. As a woman I grew up surrounded by so many women that are negatively impacted by diet culture. I actually recalled an instance earlier today to my boyfriend, when I was younger my aunt started taking this "miracle" nut, that when taken in small quantities was supposed to make you lose weight without changing your diet. Turns out, this nut had potent amounts of arsenic and was literally poisoning people. Thankfully she stopped taking it before anything serious happened but its crazy to think the extent people will go to reach a desired physical appearance rather than actually putting the effort in to be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that you were able to adapt a new lifestyle that fits your agenda and setting during this time. I agree that introducing a new lifestyle as opposed to addressing an individual issue will produce a more effective outcome on improving personal wellness. Great piece Matt :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it hard to stay on a diet when its to strict. I try to eat a good sense diet, everything in moderation and get some daily exercise. I run 3 miles a day and watch my sugar and fat intake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with you. A lot of people take for granted the accessibility to gyms. Reading this reminded of something else I read, being healthy is 80% eating right and 20% workingout

    ReplyDelete